default filesystem

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 16:33:15 UTC 2014

> Luya Tshimbalanga (luya at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > >As for "on LVM" ... I am not convinced LVM adds any gains on
> > >workstation especially if the workstation is a laptop.
> >
> > Is it possible for the installer to detect if the machine is either a laptop
> > or a desktop? That was LWM could be disabled by default.
>
> /sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_type
>
> Of course, that value comes from the firmware. You want to trust firmware
> vendors?

And also, just please, no.

Chris' and my read on the discussion over the weekend is that WS is
trending towards ext4-on-LVM by default. We can live with that, we're
not going to make a stink. Two old-school FSes on LVM as our two
defaults isn't the worst outcome in the world.

If both workstation and server are OK with having no alternatives on the
guided path (alternatives all in custom partitioning), that still makes
things rather better for testing (and I think development) than they
were before.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey