unoconv in F20 gained dependency on strange GUI applications

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:44:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 07:00:15PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> If you've ever used Sushi or GNOME Documents to preview an ODT document,
> you've probably noticed (or will soon notice) that strange GUI
> applications were installed after a recent F20 update: Chainsaw,
> LogFactor5, and LibreOffice Base.

Without the filters unoconv doesn't work at all(*) and users would need
to hunt around for the appropriate packages to install. So the change
fulfills an actual need. The proper fix is probably to seperate the file
format reading code from the GUI apps and all the Java stuff but that's
a long-term job for LO upstream to tackle.

Do you have a suggestion on how to improve unoconv packaging?

Looking at how similar cases (e.g. archiver frontends needing tar or
gzip for their work) are handled throughout the repo doesn't show a
clear pattern.

(*) I'm pretty sure it worked for your ODT case only because you
happened to have lo-writer already installed.