KDE integration/status for Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 02:20:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 19:59 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> During the default DE discussions, a number of WG members expressed
> interest in keeping KDE as a release blocking DE for Workstation.  QA
> is now asking FESCo about KDE's status as well in
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1243
>
> So if KDE is going to be a release blocking DE for Workstation, we
> need to figure out how exactly it gets installed and what manner it
> would be tested in.  In the above ticket I came up with the following:
>
> install the Workstation live image, install KDE through
> software-installer (if necessary), log into KDE from GDM after
> install, test
>
> However, that was entirely off the top of my head.  Would the live
> image be large enough to contain the KDE Workstation already or would
> a user/QA tester need to install it through the software-installer?
> What tests should be done?  Etc.
>
> Thoughts?

This with my Personal Opinion hat on, not representing QA:

I'm not sure all/most people who actually want to use Fedora KDE are
likely to be sold on doing it by downloading what they will see as
'GNOME', installing that, and then installing KDE on top of it. I think
this will be fine for some folks, but there'll be a significant
constituency which just wants a KDE image.

In fact we might be creating a bit of a problem, because I can see both
"want KDE as an alternative desktop on top of the Workstation product"
and "just want Fedora KDE" as two entirely legitimate and viable
constituencies, which sort of means we've just created a bunch of extra
work for ourselves. I'm not sure I see a clever magical solution to
that, though. Engage brain cells...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey