KDE integration/status for Workstation

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 14:43:25 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

Well, I really think the answer to the question , if KDE - as vague as KDE
stands here - is release blocking (and now doesn't matter if as part of WS
product, spin or even separate product) depends on the way, how it's
going to be delivered.

Before we know it, it's non sense to discuss if having an option in the
Software Installer is blocking thing and how to treat it. And I'd still
say close coordination between WS WG and KDE SIG is the must.

On the other hand, I'd not object going even more forward and have WS
product as a GNOME desktop but with desktop agnostic set of applications
offered in default installation. I think that's the way Christian thinks
about it - better integration of both of these worlds (from theming, to
accessibility). Once this part is done, workstation product could be open
to serve as real one, not one specific desktop showcase (and doesn't
matter which one, I really don't care in such case) product. Then, even
that post install does not have to be release blocking and only optional
thing for people who really want the Plasma desktop. From what I
understand from some WS WG folks, this could be preferred option but
I heard, there were objections to have kdelibs in the tech specs.
With move to KDE Frameworks 5, it could be raised again, as it's going
to be more Qt 5 add on modules than old fashioned monolithic kdelibs.

Jaroslav