unoconv in F20 gained dependency on strange GUI applications

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Mar 5 15:33:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 08:18 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> The analogy here would be if installing .zip support installed two
> ugly GUI apps. That's clearly not right, and if this isn't reverted in
> F20 I'll have no choice to blacklist the chainsaw and LogFactor5
> applications from the software center.

Will that do anything to solve the problem? That'd make it difficult for
a user who actually wants those apps to find them, but the 99% of users
who don't want those apps will still have them installed, correct?

I'm not sure those two apps are actually the problem, either. It's not
their fault that another application (LibreOffice Base, I believe, which
intentionally is not installed by default, but is now pulled in by
unoconv) decided to depend on them. Base is the one I would blacklist if
you must blacklist anything... but that doesn't help with the unoconv
problem, either.