unoconv in F20 gained dependency on strange GUI applications

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 15:54:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 08:18 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 5 March 2014 01:44, Lars Seipel <lars.seipel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have a suggestion on how to improve unoconv packaging?
>
> Yes. Either split the GUI applications (the /usr/bin/binary and the
> .desktop file) as a separate subpackage or split off the libraries
> themselves as a -libs subpackage. Installing some addon for
> gnome-documents that installs two non-removable *ugly* applications in
> the software center is totally broken.

If we look at what's happening here, then the two applications in
question that are showing up are both from the log4j package which is a
dependency of (among others) apache-commons-logging which is a
dependency of some other stuff which is a dependency of some other stuff
which are dependencies of LibreOffice which is a dependency of unoconv.

I suggest the best place to solve this is in the *log4j* package and
split that into two subpackages, one for the .jar (and whatever it needs
to do it's work) on the assumption that that's the piece the dependents
actually need, and another subpackage for the inspection/management
graphical utilities.

caolanm->sochotni: Is it possible to split log4j like that ?

C.