KDE integration/status for Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 17:50:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 08:48 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > This with my Personal Opinion hat on, not representing QA:
> >
> > I'm not sure all/most people who actually want to use Fedora KDE
> > are likely to be sold on doing it by downloading what they will see
> > as 'GNOME', installing that, and then installing KDE on top of it.
> > I think this will be fine for some folks, but there'll be a
> > significant constituency which just wants a KDE image.
> >
> > In fact we might be creating a bit of a problem, because I can see
> > both "want KDE as an alternative desktop on top of the Workstation
> > product" and "just want Fedora KDE" as two entirely legitimate and
> > viable constituencies, which sort of means we've just created a
> > bunch of extra work for ourselves. I'm not sure I see a clever
> > magical solution to that, though. Engage brain cells...
> >

> I'd suggest that for the Fedora Workstation, we declare that KDE is
> release-blocking *as an optional component atop the Workstation*.
>
> For the constituency that wants a pristine KDE environment, they may
> choose to maintain their own spin, but *that spin* should be removed
> from the Fedora QA's matrix. (Fedora QA should focus on the
> Workstation add-on). The KDE SIG likely has its own sufficient
> resources for testing their pure-KDE spin.

Well, as we do things now, QA and the KDE SIG collaborate on testing KDE
under the current model (you can get it in two ways - live image or DVD
- but they're very similar and don't need to be tested entirely
separately). This approach still effectively nearly doubles the
workload, because it envisages QA doing a full round of testing on
KDE-atop-Workstation, and KDE SIG doing a full round of testing on
KDE-spin.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey