kde-runtime

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Mar 12 12:52:41 UTC 2014

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> What I'd propose (it's my personal opinion, not KDE SIG) - let's start
> with KF 5 - it should be "stable" by F21 release. There's some
> possibility some apps would be already ported to Qt 5/KF5 and we will
> start from clean ground. It will be useful for developers beyond old
> KDE lands...
>
> For everyone who would like to install KDE 4 desktop or KDE 4 apps,
> deps would have to be obtained from repository.

There's currently a large collection of kde4 applications to choose from.
The Qt5/KF5 set is (and will continue to be for some time) very limited and
small.  So, I think your suggestion to focus on KF5 has the priority
backwards.

That said, similar to how both gtk2 and gtk3 are included, so should both
qt4 and qt5... eventually (and ideally).  I just think the starting point
should be where there is the most benefit *now* (qt4/kde4).

-- Rex