Fedora.next: Scope of the Workstation product

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Mon May 5 12:42:24 UTC 2014

The Workstation product is described as a "platform for development of
server side and client applications".  However, the technical
specification does not include any development tools (except a Python
stack and the GNOME Javascript stack, but those are incidental
dependencies).

Based on a review of what the other working groups are doing, it seems
that we won't end up with any development tools at all in the inner
circle of Fedora.next.

I understand that all products will be delivered with the Everything
repositories enabled, so GCC, autoconf, cmake, Boost, OpenJDK, Eclipse,
and so on will all be available.  But I had hoped for a curated subset
of packages which could receive additional attention (and eventually be
held to higher standards).

How can we avoid having a developer workstation that does not include
the full range of development tools?