gedit-code-assistance by default in Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 8 13:47:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 15:34 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
>

>> The thing about devassistant, if you don't know what it is, you are
>> unlikely to click it in the apps menu.
>> Users are more likely to open the code editor (gedit, in this case)
>> and start writing code.
>>
>> Integrating devassistant with gedit (have an option to launch it in
>> the menu titled "setup developer environment" might be a better
>> approach if you want to improve the developer experience of a fresh
>> install.
>
> Yes, indeed. That is one of the concerns our designers have had with the
> devassistant approach to setup. Doing it from 'inside the IDE' is easier
> to discover if you already have the IDE installed.
>
> Thankfully, all these things are complementary to each other - we can
> make devassistant offer to set up gedit-code-assistance, and we can also
> have gedit itself offer integrated setup. Both of these should of course
> be aware of the current environment, and not offer to install
> gedit-code-assistant if it is already there.

On the "already installed" part, does anyone have concerns about
installing gedit-code-assistant by default?  It brings in clang/llvm,
some python3 packages, ruby and rubygems, and vala.  All of those seem
like things a "developer" would quite possibly use in today's
environment.

Either adding to the kickstart or putting it in a new workstation
comps group is fine with me.

josh