Cure found for kernel updates

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed May 14 19:58:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, 14.05.14 20:03, Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 09:57:17PM +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
>
> > Only addressing the chainload concern,
> > According to the spec, the bootloader could use both normal configuration
> > AND boot fragments.
> > This means that chainloading can still be done the way it is done now, and
> > those boot fragments
> > will only be used to load OSs that implement this specification.
>
> That's doable, but it'd be nice to actually fix it in the spec so we
> don't have to worry about storing configuration in two separate places.
>
> > Regarding the Mac concern, I understand that it's incompatible because we
> > reuse the existing
> > EFI system partition on Mac hardware. Is that correct?
> > Do you have any suggestions on how this can be fixed so we can use the
> > bootloader spec?
>
> Remove the requirement that the ESP be $BOOT. The downside of that is
> that we'll then have *yet another* partition (/boot, because we want
> kernels stored on a filesystem that supports xattrs, /boot/efi for the
> ESP, /boot/whatever for storing the config fragments) which isn't a huge
> issue for GPT but would be annoying with MBR.

Well, I am pretty sure we should move to a scheme where the kernels are
copied into /boot (or the ESP), when necessary, but not be managed by
RPM there... That idea is just bad... I'd prefer if the general rule
would be that rpm places real files only in /usr, config files only in
/etc, and ghosted directories in /var, and that there would be nothing
else...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat