Package List Discussion

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu May 29 15:21:55 UTC 2014

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> fcoe-utils
 > lldpad

These seem more aimed at the Server product. Sure, anaconda pulls these in for
installation support, but do you expect the WS product to be installed on such a
crazy network? Could anaconda make these optional?

> NetworkManager-pptp
> NetworkManager-pptp-gnome
> ppp
> pptp

Do networks that use PPTP still exist? I hope not. We shouldn't encourage
unsecure connection types.

 > iscsi-initiator-utils
 > iscsi-initiator-utils-iscsiuio
> radvd

I see libvirt (and anaconda for iSCSI) requires these and it's unfortunate. All
you're missing is dhcpd/bind and the WS product is basically the Server product.

Is virtualization important to have in the base product package list? Not every
developer uses the same virt software. Virt software is more of an "add-on" in
that the WS product's goal of being a foundation for building Fedora/Linux
applications isn't met by including libvirt by default. Yes, it's nice to test
applications and yes, I use visualization myself (not libvirt), but my concern
still stands. Perhaps this could be handled by the developer assistant.

Would it be appropriate to include "devhelp" in the package list? We're not
shipping GTK/Qt docs, but should we?

Out of the box the WS product cannot produce an application. RPMs cannot be
built (rpm-build, mock?). There is no C compiler. What about "-devel" packages?
(too heavy for download, USB, DVD?) Is this what the "Developer assistant"
application will deal with?