Make Yumex Default Package Manager

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:38:25 UTC 2014

I just happened to have a discussion about this over lunch so I'll bite.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about that.   I am providing a rationale which you can agree or
> disagree with but excluding people as atypical doesn't help.  FYI, I am in a
> DevOps role now and would count myself as part of the target audience for
> Fedora workstation since funny enough I am running Fedora in my work laptop
> and doing the sort of things you would expect someone running Fedora
> workstation to do. Have we talked to anyone else in the target audience or
> done any usability studies that suggest that filtering out command line apps
> or libraries is actually helpful?  What GNOME Software does *is* make an
> assumption and that needs to be validated.

I wouldn't call it an assumption. It's a conscious design decision.
gnome-software is supposed to be an application installer where an
application is something that user can tangibly relate to, i.e. it has
a UI and an icon to be launched.

The current problem is that gnome-software is currently implemented on
top of the "sea of packages" repository model that is the only
currently existing software distribution model that we have available,
and this mismatch between design intent and implementation shows
through some cracks here and there despite the fantastic work that has
gone into gnome-software.

The way I see it (disclaimer: I'm not a gnome-software developer or
designer so this is just my personal opinion), at some point, when the
infrastructure to distribute bundled applications gets developed,
gnome-software will switch to show that kind of application and the
package repository will be a secondary thing that might get used just
fulfill dependencies.

Basically gnome-software is designed for a world where there's a very
clear distinction between applications and operating system.
Unfortunately we don't live in that world yet.

Rui