Make Yumex Default Package Manager

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:38:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:16:07AM -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Paul W. Frields  wrote:
>

> > "This assumption doesn't fit me" != "This isn't a good assumption."
> > Revisiting this approach on the basis of how you and I use our systems
> > is not constructive because we are atypical by definition.
> >

> I don't know about that.   I am providing a rationale which you can agree
> or disagree with but excluding people as atypical doesn't help.

I appreciate your wanting to have last word, so you're welcome to it
after this. :-) Excluding atypical cases is a necessary part of focus.
You and I both have a lot of historical Linux experience at the CLI,
using a lot of tools like yum, etc., and don't use the platforms most
prevalent out there like Mac OS X that I see most developers and
dev-ops folks using at conferences.[*]

[*] I can't really speak for what you use here, I'm conjecturing based
on my experience with your dedication to FOSS.

> FYI, I am in a DevOps role now and would count myself as part of the
> target audience for Fedora workstation since funny enough I am
> running Fedora in my work laptop and doing the sort of things you
> would expect someone running Fedora workstation to do. Have we
> talked to anyone else in the target audience or done any usability
> studies that suggest that filtering out command line apps or
> libraries is actually helpful?  What GNOME Software does *is* make
> an assumption and that needs to be validated.

Not arguing that validation helps, I'm simply saying that requiring
validation because you don't feel your case is covered isn't
necessarily the right approach.

Anyway, I'm leaving further debate to hughsie & co. to decide on how
best to approach any revisit of assumptions, design, etc.