F21 media

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 1 15:53:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 05:01:06PM +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> The quantities and whether the alternative DVD will be produced is at
> the discretion of the regions because the production is paid from their
> budgets and they're the closest to users, so they should know the best
> what they need.

I think this is a good idea, particularly because the Ambassadors (both
globally and regionally) should be best-placed in the project to judge media
demand.

We should make sure to plan some budget for this (both in the remainder of
this year and for next FY), and I think that we should to expand this even
beyond per-region to considering per-event requests. At most events, we want
to promote our unified Fedora message as designed by the marketing team, but
there are other situations as well:

a. "grassroots' events like LUG meetings, where the ambassador on the ground
   may be involved primarily because of their work on or interest in KDE or
   some other spin. (And this isn't just desktops; I'd support some funding
   for making media for the robotics spin for a robotics meetup, if someone
   wanted to do that — Fedora _is_ the OS of choice for the world's best
   RoboCup team!)

b. Linux fests and events where we know that the audience's primary interest
   is going to be how the desktop they care about works on Fedora, not our
   Fedora Workstation developer target.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>