Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 19:47:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 14:12 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Josh Boyer  wrote:
>         I like it.  Do you have similar plans for the plymouth
>         animation?
>         Maybe fill in the standard Fedora logo, but the final "flash"
>         animation shows the workstation logo (or vice versa)?
>

> I like the branding ideas in Plymouth and GDM but this isn't where
> anyone is going to spend much of their time and since I use encryption
> on my laptop which requires me to enter a password on boot anyway, I
> auto login and don't even see GDM.  Branding while you are logged in
> is likely going to have a much bigger impact

Well, it depends on the environment. For example, if we are powering a
computer lab in a school or office setting, then this branding will be
highly visible.

Your concern is based entirely on a single-user system, but I think
we're *hoping* that Workstation will be useful in multi-user
environments, particularly those cases where the machine is joined to a
domain (so auto-login is not really an option, since you will need to
authenticate against a domain controller to get SSO credentials).

That being said, yes I think some post-login branding is also a really
good idea, but there are fewer places we can put that in Workstation,
given its commitment to minimal chrome.

The only thing I can think of would be modifying the background image to
include (an overlay of?) the Product logo over the image.