Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 14:18:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

> With my design team hat on, I have been working on finalizing the branding
> and logos for each of the products, and thought that because we are the only
> product that is using the login screen, that to reinforce that to the
> user that
> it is fedora workstation that is being used, the plain "Fedora" logo on
> the GDM
> screen should be replaced with the Fedora Workstation branding.
>
> here is a mockup of how this possibly would look with the greyscale
> version of the
> fedora workstation logo:
>
> https://ryanlerch.fedorapeople.org/workstation-gdm-mockup.jpg
I actually like the look of this a lot better than the fedora logo.

a couple of things i've noticed:

1) fedora text is too small and thin compared to other text on the screen (already brought up in this thread)
2) Visually, the logo looks slightly lopped to the right. I think this is partly because it's
not completely centered (maybe because the image has asymmetric padding in it? didn't check), but also i think
it's a "weight" issue. The text is significantly brighter than the emblem so my eye kind of ignores the logo when
looking at how it aligned to the to the user list center-line.  One idea would be to brighten the emblem so my
eye more explicitly groups the emblem and the text, the other idea would be
center based on the text only, and left align the emblem to the centered text. The latter is harder to implement,
and might look lopsided the other direction, not sure.

--Ray