Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 14:38:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

> > Sticking logos where they don't belong is not a good idea.
>
> Branding isn't limited to just logos.  They don't necessarily belong in a
> boot splash or login screen either.

I agree with you guys on both counts here. I think logos are an "easy" way to brand the desktop, but they're also somewhat of a cop out.
prominently placed logos are a bit like prominently placed ads.  But our users have already "bought in" (so to speak) so we shouldn't be showing them ads for our product.
When it comes to the zen of logos and brand identity, less is more, in my opinion.  The user knows they're using Fedora, and if they like Fedora they'll "sell" it to their
friends and colleagues for us. The brand is picked up implicitly through osmosis merely by using the desktop.

You can argue that logos will help us differentiate our product from other distributions, and while that's an important goal, it's also a little short sited. In the bigger picture, we need to differentiate ourselves from the real competition (OS X and Windows), and we can achieve that by providing a superior user experience and a better developer story. If we can get a share of those developers that currently aren't using linux at all, we'll win against all the other distributions anyway, since there are so many more of them.

I'm not saying we should have no logos, but they shouldn't ever be in the user's face.  They should be a subtle signature of our masterpiece not an ad for our product.

--Ray