Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 2 17:35:46 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 01:14 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
> I think we both agree that fedora has/should have more differentiators than the artwork,
> right?

I don't think we can both agree, at least not at my current level of
understanding of what you are trying to say. What differentiators do you
have in mind?

 From the perspective of someone using the system who isn't writing
systemd scripts or anything terribly technical, the differentiators on
my end are:

- Wallpaper
- Latest GNOME packaged in a reliable manner (which I wouldn't have any
appreciation for without knowledge many desktop users don't have)
- Logo on login screen

If we expand differentiators out from what's available on the actual
system to the community around it, there are many in terms of the
community philosophy, people, approach to things, etc. but a lot of that
stuff is completely disconnected from the system itself. Like I brought
up before - ask.fpo is completely disconnected from the system. The
Fedora documentation and manuals are completely disconnected. You can't
access them from within the system. You have to know they exist and know
the URL or know what to search for in a general internet search.

I have a vague notion you may be trying to talk about how we are
differentiated from OS X and Windows, which is absolutely a different
conversation than how we are differentiated from our actual competitors
who are in the same market share league (other distros.) The main
differentiator from OS X and Windows is of course freedom.

~m