Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 19:29:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 13:47 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 01:44:12PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > I think that in terms of real estate, that may be a little too
> > prime. I'd like to leave that decision to the designers who are more
> > involved in the shell to weigh in on the exact real estate
> > placement.
>
> That's fine -- I just want to weigh in as considering the functionality
> _really valuable to our users_ as input to designers weighing the options.
>

> > >(I suppose this could be done as a Fedora Help shell extension?)
> > See extension is a cop-out to me, because the very users who need
> > this the most are the type of users who don't install extensions...
>
> Oh, one we'd package up and install by default, I mean.

On the user menu in the upper-right, there are currently three icons at
the bottom with a LOT of whitespace between them, they are:
 * Settings: The Screwdriver and Gear
 * Lock the screen: A padlock
 * Shutdown/Reboot: The universal power logo

What if we were to add a new icon into that available space? I'm
thinking maybe a profile or a human with a thought bubble and a "?" in
it. That could indicate "help" or "I have a question that needs
answering."