Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 16:15:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 11:52 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I'd also really like the presentation-at-a-conference case to be
> covered; that _isn't_ covered by anything you have to go out of your way to
> do.

Depending on what you mean by this case (has this been spelled out
earlier in this thread ?), I'm not sure I want to 'cover' this, tbh.
When I am using my laptop at a conference, I want it to help me give a
polished and professional presentation. That includes:

- Detect the projector, and show a unobtrusive image until I'm ready to
start my presentation

- Support me by offering presentation mode in the application that I'm
using (most likely LibreOffice or evince), and make it come up on the
projector without manual fiddling, and in fullscreen without distracting
desktop chrome

- Prevent me from a 'pants down' moment by not showing my regular
desktop contents on the big screen

- Don't interrupt my presentation with notifications

I don't think it includes the equivalent of an advertising banner while
I am presenting.

The best possible advertisement for the tool (ie the OS) in this
scenario is to get a question in the QA like "This was really smooth,
what OS are you using on your laptop ?".