Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 16:52:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 12:42 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 05:56:24PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> >> Well showing the workstation logo here can cause some confusion if we don't
> >> 1) fix the upgrade story (productized vs. not)
> >> and/or
> >> 2) Make sure it only gets shown when you are actually running workstation.
> >
> > I think #2 is important regardless of the first. Is there a mechanism for
> > this? (We need the logo to be interchangeable for the benefit of remixes in
> > any case.)
>
> Create a fedora-workstation-logos package, require it from
> fedora-release-workstation, conflict with it in all of the other
> fedora-release packages?  Repeat for the other products that wish to
> display their own brand flavor.

We had a similar discussion on another list (or maybe IRC; I can't find
it quickly). It would be better if all of our official logos were just
in fedora-logos and the fedora-release-workstation package just links
the logo into the right place.

The reason for this is there are multiple projects out there (Cockpit
and Boxes came to mind) that would want to be able to display the logos
of Products other than the one they're installed on.