"Package sets" release criterion: what to do with it?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:29:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 06:25:46PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. I'm checking the release criteria again for Fedora.next
> compatibility, and there's an Alpha criterion with obvious issues:
>
> "Package sets
>
> When doing a graphical install using the dedicated installer images, the
> installer must be able to install each of the release blocking desktops,
> as well as the minimal package set. "
>
> This was obviously written to the world where we had generic installer
> images - the DVD, and intentionally-generic netinsts. We do not have
> those things any more.
>
> Do we want to dump this criterion entirely, or is there any of it we
> would like to keep? For instance, would we consider it 'release
> blocking' functionality for you to be able to do some/any of the above
> from the Server and/or Workstation network install images *after
> configuring the repos manually*? Particularly, the minimal installation?
> I'm not sure F21 as currently conceived would offer an avenue for doing
> an interactive minimal installation.
>
> Basically, it comes down to: do we want to have a blessed method for
> doing a network install of KDE and/or minimal? If so, do we want to
> block releases on it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the WS-specific netinst.iso allow
you to install the standard Workstation product, among other things?
I think I booted it the other day while redoing an installation, and
saw multiple products available.  I don't recall seeing Minimal but I
didn't look specifically for it.