Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 23:39:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>
wrote:
> What we have done in RHEL is to put yelp on the dash. That does not
> address the fact that yelp is all about "GNOME Help", not about
> "Fedora
> Workstation" - which kinda goes back to our earlier discussion of
> shipping Fedora specific documentation / release notes on the image,
> and
> in what form. If we ship it, we can probably make it show up in yelp.

Oh, that's a much better spot for it. I think having yelp there and
shipping the Fedora docs with yelp would go a long way.

> I think that helping users to get in touch with Fedora the project (ie
> find websites, irc channels, forums, etc) can be better achieved by a
> default page in the browser, or as part of the initial setup (some
> form
> of 'system registration / account setup' step).

I think then we need to drop the pending change of dropping start.fpo
for the Firefox default 'recently visited' or maybe Rahul's suggestion
of an ask.fpo icon. (Or maybe better, an ask.fpo search provider so
people can type stuff like, "gvfs crash blah blah blah" and matches
from ask.fpo could pop up? (or is this not the way it's meant to be
extended?)

> Some things I noted while playing with this:
>
> - To get to yelp, you just go to the overview and type 'help' - this
> is
> explained in one of the 'welcome tour' videos.

Right. This is a lot easier if you know there's something to find. If
you don't know that there is a help app (and how would you?) then this
is a bit more of a leap of faith.

It's not something that's used intentionally (nobody wants to have to
use help; it's always ancillary to another task that is way more
important to a user). Think about how subway cars all have signs about
the emergency telecom and fire equipment. Those signs are not like the
ads on the subway, but everyone's read them and knows where they are
and that the safety equipment exists if they ride the subway with any
regularity. (And of course the air mask / seatbelt dance is way too
over the top but the card in the seat back pocket on a plane is similar
- it's visible, not in your face, if you ever needed it you'll know
where it is and have easy access... rather than wonder if any such
thing exists when you get in a pickle at which point you might be too
panicked / upset to think straight enough to find)

But if there's a help icon in the dash then I think that addresses this
- it'll be in a place users will see and they'll know it's there (and
they can easily pull it off the dash if they don't want it in the dash.)

> - To find out what OS you're running, you can similarly go to the
> overview and type 'about'.

This falls under the same above. It's not latently visible, you have to
intentionally seek it out. But if you don't know it exists, you're less
likely to try. And it's similar to help in that nobody wants to have to
look for this.

~m