Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 12:26:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 20:57 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> HI
>
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Matthew Miller  wrote:
>         I would really like to keep start.fpo -- it drives a lot of
>         traffic to the
>         magazine, which proves that people are really using it. And I
>         think it's
>         right that most people will turn to a web browser for help
>         these days.
>

> Sure but the main idea here is add a web app to favorites list that
> points them to a place where they can get some help.  If that is
> start.fp.o instead of ask.fp.o thats fine as long as the start page
> provides them with the things they might need when they are looking
> for help.  Combine that with a search provider in GNOME Shell and it
> would be really nice. The problem with doing it as a extension is that
> extensions keep breaking between major GNOME releases.

Well, if this was an extension maintained by GNOME developers (like the
extensions that produce Classic Mode) I think that would be less of an
issue. I like the idea of making this an extension because (obviously)
other GNOME distros would not want to be using ask.fp.o for their
questions.

That said, I'm not sure exactly how the search extensions work; they may
be a more stable API than the gnome-shell extensions. Someone who
understands that better is welcome to chime in here :)