NTP switch in gnome-control-center is broken

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 9 16:28:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>
wrote:

> On Thu, 09.10.14 18:59, Elad Alfassa (elad at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > > Well it is not hooked up with NM but it *is* hooked up with networkd
> > > via its native API, and hence even picks up manually configured
> > > per-connection NTP servers.
> >
> > I really want to see networkd in Fedora by default. What are the
> > plans/timeframe for that? How does it play together with NM?
>
> networkd doesn't do WLAN really (well, you can run it together with
> wpa_supplicant, and configure both individually, but that's not
> particularly nice. networkd currently also lacks a bus interface
> (since it runs in early boot + initrd, where dbus-daemon is not
> available currently), and that stalls on kdbus.
>
> networkd as it is right now is great for servers, or the initrd, to
> run inside containers or for a lot of the embedded usecases. It's not
> suitable for the desktop usecase.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Red Hat
> --

Okay, got it.
Speaking of the far future, will networkd ever be suitable for desktop
usecases? Will NM interface with it in some way to provide the missing
functionality?
If networkd is not good (yet?) for desktop, and timesyncd needs it for a
functionality that is important for many people, then I guess timesyncd
will need to learn to work with NetworkManager if you want to have it in
Workstation (or convince people that DHCP-provided NTP servers are not
something they want to support).

For the F21 timeframe I think it would be useful to patch timedatectl to
use chrony. Do you agree?

--
-Elad Alfassa.