Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 09:15:19 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> On 10/02/2014 10:38 AM, Ray Strode wrote:
> >In the bigger picture, we need to differentiate
> > ourselves from the real competition (OS X and Windows), and we can
> > achieve that by providing a superior user experience and a better
> > developer story.
>
> To this point, Apple has a monochrome apple in the upper right corner of
> the OS X desktop.... unless it's been taken away very recently?

Upper left.

> Windows 8 appears to have one in the lower left corner, but I don't know
> enough about it to know how much this screenshot differs from the
> default config:
> http://fishingforedtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screenshot-12.png
>
> That being said, the new Windows logo is essentially a representation of
> the tiles UI, so the tiles UI itself is a form of a logo sort of. It's
> definitely more integrated a brand than OS X.
>
> I agree with what you're saying here, but I don't think that translates
> to "so we must have no logos ever, at all on the desktop"

In both cases, the logos are actual buttons, not simply fillers (like the Red Hat
logo is in RHEL's gnome-shell). If we had a "GNOME menu" in the default UI, we would
be comparing things properly.

We already ship a downstream patch to the control-center's "Details" panel to show
information about the Fedora variant in use.

I don't think we should have a logo in the default shell chrome, as it would dilute
the goal of minimal chrome, and take attention away from the already present UI items.

Cheers