Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 12:29:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:10:02AM +0300, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> +1. The conference scenario is a common one. I use an add-on [1] just to
> add Fedora logo by the Activities menu because I want to show people
> that I'm using Fedora, and there is no other way of doing that during a
> presentation/workshop.

Yeah, in absence of any other solution (Ryan's idea with the wallpaper
overlay could work too), I think this is a decent approach. We could fork
the Activities Configurator extention to show the Fedora Workstation logo
(and perhaps the words "Fedora Workstation") if fedora-release-workstation
is installed, and the Fedora infinity logo (and "Fedora") if it's not.

> Also I don't think the "Upstream doesn't put a logo" is a good argument.
> We are not just distributing upstream. We are building a product
> (Workstation in this case) and we can decide on our own what's best.

Absolutely. We want to align technology and effort with upstream as best we
can, but our goals (and therefore needs) aren't dictated by upstream, and
sometimes they will diverge. A _cosmetic_ change like this isn't a big
divergence in any way — but *is* a big deal for Fedora.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>