Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 15:07:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:46:00AM -0300, Evandro Giovanini wrote:
> I think it's great that you choose to support Fedora, but I disagree. When
> I'm doing a presentation I want my work to be featured, and I want as
> little distraction as possible. Fedora Workstation is shipping GNOME, which
> was designed following that same philosophy. It's the reason I've been a
> GNOME user for so many years and a big part of what makes it great.

Sure, that's fine, and it should be easy to remove and get out of the way,
and as Matthias mentioned earlier, there should be a presentation mode which
ensures that nothing but your presentation is shown.

> "upstream doesn't put a logo" is not the full argument as it doesn't take
> into account the *why* of that decision. They didn't put a logo in the
> panel because there was no room to put a logo there under the principles
> that guided their entire design. When someone who is not a designer, was
> not involved at all in that process, and doesn't even understand what went
> into it, comes in and starts making changes as if they were just cosmetic
> details you end up with a bad design.

I'm not trying to dictate the design. However, I am sharing a requirement; I
trust the designers to come up with a way to accommodate that need. By the
famous analogy: we need this bikeshed painted. I don't care what color, but
"the designers love the natural weathered look" doesn't help.

> Let's not forget that a brand is not just a logo. Being the best operating
> system with GNOME has become part of Fedora's brand, and something that has
> gained it quite a few users over recent years. Making the GNOME experience
> worse would in no way help the Fedora brand.

I find the suggestion that showing the Fedora logo would somehow "make the
experience worse" to be deeply troubling. We should be proud and excited to
showcase it — just as we are proud and excited that Fedora Workstation is
built on great GNOME technology.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>