Branding concerns about workstation

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 15:17:58 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Christian and I talked about some of the points brought up in this
thread this morning and we agreed that a good way forward would be to
come up with:

(1) A written policy on how we brand Fedora, and also

(2) A documented process that can be followed when there's a request to
change that policy.

I'm going to go back through this thread (and some of the other related
ones that have popped up over time, this seems to come up cyclically
lately) and talk to some of the stakeholders involved (including Matthew
from the Fedora POV, one of the RHEL product managers from the RHEL POV
since our branding ability affects RHEL, Jakub who is one of the GNOME
shell designers) to list out all of the goals / needs we have and
various possibilities to address them that won't compromise the design
but also achieve the goals we have (if that's possible :) Let's be
optimistic and assume it is.)

I am going to reach out to some of our Red Hat corporate branding folks
too since a lot of them have deep experience on this sort of problem
space not just from RH's perspective but from their work at other
companies and see if I can't find someone to advise us from that sort of
third-person / objective POV as well - maybe they might have some good
insight or solution we haven't considered.

I have a few other things to tie up today but I will have a rough draft
at a problem statement written up this week and will start some other
documentation too (e.g. going through the thread and pulling out
potential suggested solutions, etc.) I will keep this list posted and
keep things open so anybody can have the opportunity to suggest ideas /
provide feedback / etc.

~m