Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Fri Oct 17 23:15:42 UTC 2014

Hey,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:25:43AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Who is we?

A bunch of Fedora contributors who also happen to be part of upstream
GNOME.

I can understand that another subset of Fedora contributors might have
a different opinion. I can also imagine another subsection of Fedora
contributors with a GNOME background also having a different opinion
that 'us', although I haven't seen an example of that on this topic.

I think it is safe to say that 'we' stands for the group who do not
want more branding in the shell chrome.

> Also, there's no onus on either party here.  Fedora Workstation is
> Fedora.

But 'we' are Fedora too!

> GNOME upstream is GNOME upstream.  Each can chose to display
> logos or not according to what they believe best suits them.

We will be well served if we did not draw lines that. I might be
working on GNOME, but I am just as much a Fedora contributor as
anybody else [1] who works on KDE or the kernel or anything else.
I want the Fedora brand to succeed too.

It is disappointing to see that whenever someone with a GNOME
background expresses an opinion or liking, it is swept aside with a
'oh, but this is not GNOME, we are Fedora'. A very big chunk of the
work that goes into building Fedora Workstation happens upstream,
upstream GNOME developers hold Fedora in high regard, and there are a
good number of people who participate in both communities. Decisions
that 'we' take upstream are taken with the best interests of Fedora at
heart. While that does not mean that 'we' are infallible and
unaccountable [2], it is fair to expect some amount of mutual trust
and respect.

Constantly repeating 'this is Fedora, that is GNOME' only breeds
mistrust and alienates people.

Cheers,
Debarshi

[1] Been using Fedora since 2004, started with KDE, got Fedora commit
access in 2007, got GNOME commit access in 2009.

[2] Talking of branding, using the Fedora logo instead of the GNOME
logo in 'about' was a change that was done for Fedora as a result of
a similar thread some time ago.