Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Fri Oct 17 23:49:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:37:57PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 05:57:13PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > Find somewhere it should be, then, please.
> > Is the login screen not a good place for this?  If the user installed
> > the system, surely they know what it is.  If the user did not, they
> > must login and could see a logo at the login screen.
>
> Not necessarily, in a number of cases. One is in institutional use, where
> the system may log into a shared account automatically.

Maybe via the default Fedora wallpaper? I know there are legal issues
with putting the logo there, but we already have wallpapers to go with
each release. We can improve that.

> Another is in
> conferences or other places where Fedora may be seen in use. If someone is
> giving a demo at a meetup using Fedora Workstation,

I use stickers for that.

We are not going to have branding show up on the screen while someone
is actually presenting something on the projector. A big (f) sticker
on the laptop is much more visible than a tiny logo on the shell
chrome.

I am sure the big white glowing apple on the laptop's lid is much more
visible than a tiny black logo on the Mac OSX desktop.

Cheers,
Debarshi