NTP switch in gnome-control-center is broken

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Oct 21 20:25:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21.10.14 14:43, Dan Williams (dcbw at redhat.com) wrote:

> > I am really not keen though to do this via dbus, nor via some dir in
> > /run (like networkd does) due to the awkward ownership and lifecycle
> > semantics.
>
> That was my major issue with resolvconf too, the lifecycle issues.  But
> that could be solved via D-Bus connections, where if the client
> disconnects, resolved removes the information that client pushed
> down.

Well, we thought about that too. But what we didn't like about this
was that it actually binds the life-cycle of things to the wrong
object: it should be attached to the interface, not the daemon
installing it. I think it would be a really good idea to support a
scheme where some program figures out something, attaches it to the
iface and dies, but the data isn't lost.

> For ownership, I don't think that's solved by XATTRs.  Unless you
> namespace them or otherwise tie them to the DNS source, all resolved can
> do is read the "dns1" attribute on eth0.  But that attribute could be
> written to by anything with privilege, be that NetworkManager or
> networkd or whatever.  If this isn't what you mean by ownership, could
> you elaborate?

well, by ownership I just mean that the lifecycle is bound to some
other suitable object. xattrs allow us to do this naturally to network
interfaces.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat