systemd-networkd and network management plans

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 22 11:15:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, 12.09.14 20:24, Rahul Sundaram (metherid at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi
>
> For a long time,  NetworkManager handled only wifi and simpler connection
> needs and although it now has support for bridging, bonding etc, it seems
> not integrated with GNOME very much.
>
> Meanwhile, systemd-networkd handles a lot more of that but doesn't handle
> wifi (yet?) and I am not sure what the plans are between NM and
> systemd-networkd to avoid code duplication.

That is correct, networkd does not handle wifi, and nobody is working
on it.

With networkd we mostly focus on the embedded, initrd, server,
container usecases, but not so much the desktop usecases. That said I
know that people are interested in having networkd cover wifi too, so
I am not sure what the future will bring.

> Do we still ship the older network scripts in Fedora workstation? What are
> the plans to integrate systemd-networkd if any?  What is the future of NM?

Currently there are no plans.

At this time, networkd is an option in Fedora, not more, and we have
no plans to propose it as default, and especially not for the
workstation flavour.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat