freedesktop specs

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 22 19:50:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2014-10-18 at 06:17 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> > Would it be feasible to require that any default applications in
>> > workstation follow the appropriate freedesktop specifications
>> > including xdg base dir in
>> >

>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Guidelines/Applications_and_Launchers
>>
>> This isn't the right policy for that, since that policy only covers apps
>> with visible desktop files.
>

> Fair enough.  I am not particular about the location of the policy.  Any
> comments on the suggested policy itself?

We didn't get to this in the meeting today, so we'll try and work this
out over the list.

Personally, I have no major concerns with requiring default apps to
support xdg configuration dirs, particularly since most already do.
However, I don't think it's a pressing concern for F21 and most of the
work should happen in the upstream projects.  That is particularly
true for Firefox and NSS/NSPR.  The rest seem like quick enough work,
but we might wish to grant exceptions for those 3 if we do adopt such
a policy.

What do other WG members think?

josh