freedesktop specs

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:19:27 UTC 2014

Hi

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Matthias Clasen  wrote:

> It is worth keeping the overall goal in mind: We want to offer
> high-quality applications to the Workstation users - as many as
> possible.
>
> It is one thing to write guidelines about best practices for logos,
> icons and such - those are things that can be fixed up in packaging.
>
> Changing the location of config files on the filesystem is much more
> involved, and really needs upstream acceptance of the change

IMO, all of the changes we make have to be send upstream anyway regardless
of how minor it is.  There is no particular reason a better logo shouldn't
be upstream to use your example.  There should be a high level of
consistency for the default apps and that goes beyond just minor
differences in packaging.  Would you want to introduce a new default app
that uses GTK2 at this point?  If we say all default apps in Fedora
workstation MUST use a standard toolkit like GTK3 or Qt4, that doesn't mean
we will be forking the apps.  Just that we wouldn't accept it into the
default set until it is ported over.  XDG base dir spec could be enforced
in the same way.

Rahul