freedesktop specs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Oct 24 16:06:27 UTC 2014

On Oct 18, 2014, at 4:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Would it be feasible to require that any default applications in workstation follow the appropriate freedesktop specifications including [snipped]

Getting back to the first part of the question: should Fedora follow freedesktop.org specifications? And where do we draw the line on following them? They differentiate between "draft with good de facto adoption" and "draft new/not widely used" and "planning/requirements-gathering". So it seems pretty clear we could always follow the ones with good de facto adoption.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/

I think it's important to answer the questions generically first, and probably also establish a policy whether to case-by-case implement these specs or not.

For example, with BootLoaderSpec, Fedora has a variant, not an exact, implementation. And there's a derivative draft spec by mjg59. The point is not to gripe about BootLoaderSpec specifically, it's about establishing a consistent attitude and policy with respect to freedesktop.org specs. Or is it necessarily going to be à la carte?

Chris Murphy