NTP switch in gnome-control-center is broken

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 11:41:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 07:53:24PM +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 05:46:19PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Well, while it is certainly nice to be resiliant to such things, I am
> > not convinced though that for a normal client this is really a
> > necessity. The commonly used NTP servers are good enough for most
> > cases and are used in SNTP mode by a multitude of devices and
> > operating systems
>
> Which major operating systems do use by default a SNTP client with
> pool.ntp.org? Microsoft and Apple use SNTP, but they have their own
> trusted NTP servers. In the Linux world, I think the most popular
> choice is the reference NTP implementation and on smaller devices it's
> the busybox NTP client.

It seems I was wrong here. Mac OS X apparently uses the reference
NTP implementation modified to work in combination with another daemon
called pacemaker, which adjusts the clock [1] and the w32time service
used in Windows does implement the NTP algorithms [2].

It looks like pretty much everyone has a full NTP client running on
their system, I'm sure we don't want Fedora to be the exception.

[1] https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/pacemaker.8.html
[2] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773013%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

--
Miroslav Lichvar