F21 Workstation Hardware Requirements

Thomas Gilliard satellitgo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:23:12 UTC 2014

On 9/2/2014 9:59 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 16:19:22 +0300,
>>   Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> However, "hardware accelerated graphics" shouldn't be in the minimal -
>>> people will still run Workstation on VM platforms where it's unavailable,
>>> eg. KVM/spice, we don't want them to think it's impossible to run our own
>>> OS on our own virtualization platform.
>>> I think it would make more sense for "Hardware accelerated graphics" to be
>>> in the recommended section.
>>
>> If you are using software for graphics you need a powerful CPU to make the
>> system usable. That is an odd combination on real hardware. So I think for a
>> recommendation it makes sense to suggest hardware graphic acceleration for
>> workstation. I think the running it as a VM on one's desktop is an outlier
>> case.
> I disagree.  Testing Workstation in a VM before installing it is
> something we should very much care about.  There are also cases where
> people want to use a VM for developing some new part of the stack and
> running Workstation as a VM to test that out is also very viable.
>
> josh
Is it possible to add VirtualBox  to workstation. I understand that t is
free software and only the extensions are for personal use.

I have reboot from f21 Workstation  into openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle)(x86_64) [1]
which has VirtualBox 4.2.18_OSE r88780 installed by default
(plus sugar 0.98.8)

To test f21-Alpha TC-5 .isos as I cannot load VirtualBox in f21
  It would be  much nicer to have VirtualBox in Workstation

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensuse-edu/files/download/ISOs/openSUSE-Edu-li-f-e-gnome-classic.x86_64-13.1.2.iso/download