F21 Workstation Hardware Requirements

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 2 17:41:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM, Thomas Gilliard <satellitgo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to add VirtualBox  to workstation. I understand that t is
>> free software and only the extensions are for personal use.
>>

> No. We will not add VirtualBox.

I'd agree with that.

> I don't think it's even packaged in Fedora due to licensing issue, and
> besides our virtualization platform is much more powerful, and our
> virtualization client app (GNOME Boxes) has a much superior UX.

As Thomas said, the bulk of VirtualBox is actually GPLv2 now as of
version 4 I think.  The licensing may be acceptable for Fedora with
that version or newer.  However, VirtualBox requires out-of-tree
kernel modules, which aren't allowed in Fedora and we aren't going to
ship those.  Packaging or testing this isn't something the WG is going
to work on.

josh