Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Sep 9 14:51:21 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 09:46 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> The Fedora Workstation is a new take on desktop development from the
> Fedora
> Community. Instead of seeing ourselves primarily as passive packagers
> of any
> software we manage to find we are now instead picking the best
> components out
> there and doing a lot of of work to integrate and polish them,
> presenting you
> with something you will feel is a much more polished and targeted
> product
> than what you seen before from the Fedora community. We want our
> desktop operating
> system to solve your problems, not be your problem.

Well it sounds good, but it's hardly true... Fedora Workstation is
pretty much the same as F20, asides from having software that is one
year newer. There are no fundamental differences, besides the "developer
focus" which prompted the inclusion of devassistant.

> In Fedora 21 we are using
> the new hawkeye backend

It used to be named hawkey (not hawkeye), but it got renamed to hif for
some reason.

I wouldn't mention terminal transparency either. That was added in a
post-release F20 update, so it would be misleading to advertise it as a
new feature, and it doesn't exist in F21 anyway. (If you were using
transparency in F20, that's going to be removed when you update.)

And proper Qt themeing... I don't remember hearing about progress on
this; did it ever happen? Testing a few Qt apps in rawhide, they do look
decent, but I'm not sure what they looked like before.

Michael