Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 08:33:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Paul W. Frields < stickster at gmail.com >
> wrote:
>

> Of course, so the image is necessarily larger as a result. But I
> question whether the difference saved by eliminating LO would really
> impact people's ability to download. I'd expect someone who can't
> download a 1.2GB image wouldn't have their problem solved by only
> downloading a ~750-950MB image.
>
> Downloading a smaller image is cheaper (if you pay per byte) and it's faster.
> I, for example, have to wait an hour and a half to download a workstation
> compose these days, some of the composes being 1.4GB.

That's the reason, why we did installation DVDs and we shipped it to countries
with limited internet access - it contained almost everything we had and
especially office suite. So if we are going to continue to produce media,
this actually helps to have OO in the compose.

For saving download - I'd say at this time, almost everyone is going to
install LO after installation. Other option would be Calligra, it could
be smaller but it's still not on par with LO, even it's becoming better.

Personally, I hope for libre Google Docs like service. WebODF seems to
be getting close.

Jaroslav