Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

Evandro Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:40:05 UTC 2014

A few things worth considering:

- Java is quite popular among the Workstation target audience (between web
and mobile development), so installing it by default may not be such a bad
idea.

- Without Libreoffice there's no support for .doc or even RTF documents in
the default install. This is something all operating systems currently
support (Windows, OS X and all major Linux distributions). While I'm in
favor of offering a lean selection of apps now that Software is a great and
usable tool, I believe that an OS should support viewing all common MIME
types out of the box.

--
Evandro