Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 17 14:08:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 09/16/2014 12:18 PM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> The ease of finding and installing an office suite when there isn't one
> installed by default would be something that would make a great user
> test scenario before yanking libreoffice.

> Both the scenarios of opening an exisiting file, and trying to create a
> document -- some of the things to consider could be:
> * what people search for -- (do all users use "Word Processor", or just
> "Word")
> * if they search for a word processor in Software, does LO show up as a
> "best bet" or do other applications like abiword or calligra show up? --
> a default here may help the user because they are getting the software
> that may be considered "the best"

+1

Let's also talk about our target users (and run the test Ryan suggested
above on them.) We're looking at targeting app developers, right?

- Are app developers typically bandwidth-constrained?

- Do app developers need an office suite? Do they create content using
one? Do they consume content that requires having one? (Say a
requirements doc from a product manager?)

- If they need it, they have to download it at some point. Either before
install, or after install. Is the payload the same whether or not it
ships in the image or if it's pull down via yum, right? So if they need
the tool, how does pulling it from the image save them bandwidth? (would
keeping it in the image save them bandwidth since if they obtained the
image via local means / repositories / etc typically available to
developers they'd only use internal network and not have to go external?)

- Would an app developer prefer to have the software included in the
install image or would they prefer to download it when it was needed?

~m