Summary of Reddit thread

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 15:21:02 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> I came across this Reddit thread* about why devs use Mac OS X instead of
> Linux. I tried to pick out a representative set of comments below as I
> thought it could be a useful exercise to help us refine or reinforce our
> efforts around the Fedora Workstation. Being human there probably is some
> confirmation bias in my selection of quotes, but hopefully not to much :)
>
> I think a lot of these items are things we are already aware of and trying to
> fix, but of course not all of them are easily fixable, like access to
> proprietary Windows or MacOS X applications or similar hotkeys/behaviour
> across UI toolkits. I think we made some great strides in the stability
> department, but reading the reddit thread did reinforce that it is an area
> we need to keep focus going forward.
>
> Christian

<snip>
> "Sure, I'd prefer to have a pure linux working environment, but it's not
> worth the heartache of figuring out why last weeks update broke my
> multi-monitor, again. I've got stuff to do, and OSX is good at allowing me
> to get that stuff done."

The "OSX isn't buggy" meme is a serious fallacy, as anyone who's had to support
OSX machines will attest. "Why is Wi-Fi not working anymore? Who knows! Why
is Lightroom hanging for 20 seconds when making a pixel's worth of change?
Who knows!".

Regressions on Linux and Fedora are a problem, and better QA is definitely
needed, but OSX certainly isn't the gold standard here.

<snip>
> "I don't want to fiddle with config files, /etc, anything anymore."

I'll add:
"I can play videos and music out of the box"
to that list.

Cheers