Summary of Reddit thread

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Apr 3 15:29:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:33:59AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> I see three weaknesses for us that we must address:
>
> * Marketing: we're seriously underrated compared to other distros,
> considering the quality of what we release relative to what other
> distros are releasing.
Reviews in the press for F21 were very good. Early reviews for F22 are
also good. I think there are lots of *visible* good things happening
in Fedora (the redesigned start.fp.o, gnome-software and gnome in
general, wallpapers, design polish, etc). One release is not enough,
but I think users will follow if we can keep this up for a few
releases.

> With very important exceptions:
> * There's no reasonable way to upgrade from one Fedora release to the
> next.
> * Post release updates are crazy.
This is unnecessarily bleak. Offline update a la fedup is a
technically sound approach and can be made to work reliably. I know
there are problems right now, systemd is one of the components that
has issues, but it's nothing that can't or won't be solved.

Post release updates, even of large fraction of the package set,
should be OK, as long as they are not disruptive. In my subjective
feeling, things are getting better here too. There's a fairly tight
update policy and at the level of stable updates things mostly work.

> And one weakness we can't really address:
>
> * Legal issues (multimedia)
>
> (Although we should make an effort to get MP3 support in F23, since the
> last problematic patent we know about expires in September.)
MP3 support out of the box would be nice.

Zbyszek