Summary of Reddit thread

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 10:13:58 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Browser embedded videos will either require Flash, or MPEG-4 codecs. Chrome
> will have both of those, but not Firefox, nor Epiphany or Chrome.
>
> The number of websites using free codecs is unfortunately very low.

But it's getting better. What's funny is that one of the first providers,
who moved from Flash are - advertisements... Theirs business stands on
ability to play the content everywhere :).

I'd like to add one thing from my experience from install fests. Recently,
we had an event for 1st grade students at local university - Linux/FreeBSD is
required for almost all projects (it's true, I studied there ;-). So we had
install fest, with guys from Fedora QA helping and to be honest - after it
I just recommend to use VM with Fedora in Windows. The main issue is - for
students, they usually can't afford pretty well supported Lenovos but all
that cheapest s*t you can buy. And it's extremely hard to support it, from
graphics drivers, cheap wifis, other non-compliant HW there. You usually
end up with noisy laptop, that overheats, battery drops to half, your wifi
does not work or sensitivity is very bad :(. We can do a lot about how
Fedora works and it's really getting better every single release, no need
to edit anything, just install it and do your job (*) but only if your HW
allows it...

(*) on my HW I'm able to install Fedora and set up everything the way I
need for my job in less than one hour

Jaroslav