Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 10:45:36 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Broken from the "Summary of Reddit thread".
>
> Fedora's lack of a graphical major-version updater comes up
> constantly. I think it's probably time to start brainstorming how to
> solve it, with a stated intention of having things work for upgrading
> Fedora 23 -> Fedora 24 *at minimum* and an ideal situation of having
> Fedora 22 -> Fedora 23 upgrades work (with changes made during Fedora
> 22's stable lifecycle to support this).
>
> So to brainstorm, I'll start with a list (in no particular order) of
> things I think we want as goals (not necessary technical goals but
> user experience goals) and then go into a few known technical
> enhancements that need to be accomplished to get there. (Note: many of
> the experience goals may already be possible with some combination of
> GNOME Software and/or fedup, but they are included for completeness).
>
> Much discussion welcome!

One things to add to user experience is integration with Preupgrade
Assistant. One can argue it's not for Workstation use case but for
Server but one of the ideas was to support desktop upgrades aka when
for example an IM client is no longer default, say hey, we have very
new shining IM client and you can even migrate your history via...

https://fedoraproject.org//wiki/Changes/Preupgrade_Assistant

Jaroslav