Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 7 15:03:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:56:31 -0400
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Broken from the "Summary of Reddit thread".
>
> Fedora's lack of a graphical major-version updater comes up
> constantly. I think it's probably time to start brainstorming how to
> solve it, with a stated intention of having things work for upgrading
> Fedora 23 -> Fedora 24 *at minimum* and an ideal situation of having
> Fedora 22 -> Fedora 23 upgrades work (with changes made during Fedora
> 22's stable lifecycle to support this).

I think this brainstorming should include right now the fedup
maintainer(s). It seems odd to me to start discussing this on this list
without first asking them plans and roping them into the discussion.

...snip lots of stuff that fedup already does and some it doesn't
yet....

>  * For Fedora Workstation, the obvious graphical front-end should be
> GNOME Software

>  * ... However, the low-level should be implemented by PackageKit so
> that other DEs can implement their own solutions.

Why reimplement fedup in PackageKit? Or is that not what you are saying?

>  * The fedup tool already provides a non-graphical implementation of
> the dedicated upgrade environment (as well as some odds-and-ends for
> managing changes that aren't handled by simple package upgrade
> scripts). This logic should be moved to PackageKit and maintained
> there, with fedup becoming a CLI client implementation of it.

Well, I am not a fedup maintainer, but that seems... odd to dictacte.

Why is PackageKit a better place for it?

IMHO, I think it would make sense to keep fedup as the cli/backend and
have gnome-software or perhaps a dedicated fedup gui frontend interface
with it.

>  * The Fedora infrastructure would need to add new metadata to
> describe releases (also supporting Alpha and Beta releases) that the
> upgrade mechanisms may query for. Mirror-manager is probably a good
> place for this.

fedup already has this.

kevin