Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Apr 7 16:40:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 09:03 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Why reimplement fedup in PackageKit? Or is that not what you are
> saying?

Well, it should be implemented in GNOME Software: that much we're sure
of. Here are our designs:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/34b4e009330363c7e6f0b3af79bcb127c7baf040/software/version2/wire-os-upgrades.png

I don't mind using fedup to perform the upgrade, but I'd prefer it to
be done in some distro-agnostic way (so PackageKit is strongly-
indicated, at least), so that other distros can use GNOME Software for
upgrades, too.

PackageKit actually used to support distro upgrades. Richard deleted
the code a year or two ago because nobody was using it.

Michael